The Emergency Ambulance Response Driver’s Handbook (Third Edition) is the essential resource for all professional drivers of ambulances. It provides drivers with a safe and effective basis for their driving practice as well as an understanding of how to minimise any risk to ambulance drivers, passengers and other road users.
The book is designed to serve as both an introductory resource for self-learning or alongside a training course as well as a text which can help to refresh and enhance your existing knowledge. Since the publication of the second edition in 2014, the book has been comprehensively reviewed by a team of healthcare professionals and brought up to date with the newest regulations and best practice advice. With an additional four chapters, this book forms a vital part of the training of any driver of emergency response vehicles.
1. The Law in Relation to Ambulance Driving
2. Legal Exemptions
3. Driver Characteristics and Responsibilities
4. Driving Commentary
5. Vehicle Daily Inspections and Pre‑Driving Checks
6. Automatic Gearboxes
7. Vehicle Operating and Safety Systems
8. Audible and Visual Warnings
9. Lighting Regulations
10. Reversing and Manoeuvring
11. Re-Prioritisation of Calls
13. Attending Incidents
14. Smart Motorways